Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Easter!

Pizza with everyone.
BUONA PASQUA!!! Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, buona pasqetta (the day after easter)!!!
Wow this week was crazy! I can't believe that I got to spend EASTER in ITALY! Easter here is a huge deal! And the day after Easter was a holiday too so that's why I'm writing you today. On Friday we got to see the Processione! Which is basically a religious parade. There was this one church which was filled with people and they reenacted the crucifixion, then they took his body down, placed it in a coffin, and took it around town, visiting every church in a huge parade. It was so crazy! I can't even put to words what it was like to be in that catholic church. It was almost scary...everyone chanting prayers, the priest yelling all these things, the way they worship Mary, etc. It is so crazy what church is like for people here. Nevertheless it was cool to see and after we followed the parade around a bit...because...Andrea led it! Hahaha he plays the flute and was in the band and he ended up being at the very front. The newest Mormon in Sassari led the catholic parade. Hahaha! 

Processione



Catholic church










  
Here instead of all the small little eggs filled with candy...they get HUGE chocolate eggs! I-ll give you a great picture next week! Also, another traditional sweet is the Colomba which means dove. It's a huge cake in the shape of a dove! 

Easter lunch.
Okay now to tell you about my Easter lunch....haha! So the Murgia family invited us over for lunch and we were so excited! We went over and they gave us some delicious red sauce lasagna. Then some pasta typical of Sardenga. Then they brought out another lasagna but this time with artichokes (so good!). Then they come out with bread. Then they brought out FOUR different meats—pig, lamb, lamb with mushrooms, and the organs of the lamb that we were expected to eat. Oh and a huge thing of potatoes! We were dying!! We were so full! We had to take long breaks between courses just to be able to eat it all. And yes, I did have to eat a bit of the organs of the lamb...I don't know what part it was...either the heart, veins, liver, etc. Why does Sardegna eat all of this?After that they gave us a huge chocolate egg, Easter cookies, and cake to eat! Italians know how to feed you!!!! I am stuffed for the rest of my life. And I probably gained five pounds. Oh well.
There's this member who works in a flower shop by our house and he has a friend named Pietro. We pass his shop often and we always see this friend so we always go in there and talk to him about the gospel. He makes a lot of jokes and didn't seem too interested. Then one day he asked for a BOM because his wife wants to read it. We wrote her a nice note in the book and gave it to him and they invited us over for dinner! They were so sweet and the Dad kept being a jokester the whole time, but they are really interested! They had their nephew and his wife over (who just found out she is pregnant!) and they asked a lot of great questions. Th mom is reading the BOM everyday and they are so excited to have us over again...and we are so excited for them!! 

Service
Besides all of this, I have really loved this week because my testimony has been strengthened a lot. I read a couple chapters of Jesus the Christ (YES dad I am reading it now so don't you worry!) about Christ's resurrection and it was so interesting to me and I knew that it was true. Lately, I've been meeting a lot of people who don't believe in God or Christ and it just breaks my heart that all these people don't know how happy they could be if only they could get to know their Savior. Also, the biggest difference between our church and the catholic church (well besides the whole authority thing) is how we see Christ. They see him on the cross in a sad and tangled state. Yes, we see that too...but instead we see him more as the beautiful resurrected being that he is today. Yes he died for us, but the miraculous thing is that HE LIVES today. He was resurrected! He gained a perfect body! He accomplished everything! And now he lives through each of us, helping us every day of our lives! I know he lives because I can feel him helping me everyday to become like him.
Anyway I hope you all are well...I CANT WAIT TO HEAR WHERE KELSEY IS GOING ON HER MISSION!!! Congrats to Isaac and Daniel! Put an extra flower on grandma's grave for me. Tell the whole family I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment