Monday, April 28, 2014

Mission life in Sassari


Flowers
Flowers
KELSEY GOT CALLED TO JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA?!?!??!! I CANT BELIEVE IT. The same mission as Mckay and Grandma and Grandpa. So crazy. I AM SO EXCITED FOR HER. She will LOVE the mission! I am so sad I'm missing her by two months though. :( :( :( she's going to do great. So happy for her. 

Giant Easter eggs.
So today I am going to answer some questions:
  1. How are my investigators doing? 
    Most of them are not progressing too well this week, but we did have two big miracles. One of them is Lucia Solinas. Do you remember that curly redhead? She was doing great in the past, said yes to being baptized and was excited about it...then nothing. We called to invite her to church but that week she wasn't feeling well and didn't want to come. Same thing the next week. And the next week. And the next. Etc. The thing is is that she has this boyfriend who has just been horrible and she was so mixed up whether she should break up with him or not and it caused all this stress where she couldn't think about the church or anything. We couldn't get anything done with her and didn't know what to do so we kind of let it alone for a little while. Then last week she sent us a text saying that she left him!!! We went over and she was sad....but so happy! She was up out of bed, cleaning the apartment, and looked great! On Saturday we went over and did the Restoration again which turned out so great because she learned so much more this time and now is really going to be committed to progressing. We talked about baptism and she had all these questions about the law of chastity, but she decided that once she knows this is true...she is willing to keep all the commandments!!!! She's praying and reading right now to find her answer!
    Also, there's Angela. Angela is the hardest investigator I have ever worked with, but I love her so much. She has just had the hardest life and her whole family has left her and she has nothing except for her grandson. Her grandson is autistic, she gets to see him once every week, and he is just so full of love that it makes her happy. But besides that she hates everything else in her life and has become really angry about it. Every lesson we teach her a little thing and then she spends the whole time trying to argue about it. But even though she is really stubborn...she does want to change and she knows our visits are making a difference. Well this week I just completely called her to repentance and told her she needs to stop doing all this stuff and that she can be changed. At the end we actually got her to say the prayer and asked God to help her change and become a better person. Yesterday night she gave us a call telling us how she read the BOM all day and then the long lost father of her grandson finally gave him a call and how the grandson was SO happy to be able to talk to his dad and it made her so happy too. She told us how she just felt a huge peace and she knew that God did love and care about it. Her heart is changing. 

    A lady from Spain that we talked to.
  2. What did I learn from my Companion this week? 
    So much! The work has been hard here, but I have been blessed with the most amazing companions in my mission! Veramente! Yes with every companion I have had differences, but the cool thing is is that with each of my companions we work really hard and we find ways to become best friends by the end. I really haven't had a “bad companion” yet. All of my companions have helped me so much and I love these amazing girls. Right now I am with Sorella Patterson who is from Texas and as of right now is studying languages at BYU. She was born into my first city the transfer after me and since we were both new and had foreign companions...we would always talk about all of our problems together and we would talk about how cool it is to be a missionary. We became great friends and I couldn't believe when I heard that I would get to spend more time with her! This week we have really worked on trying to be open with each other about our problems so we don't have to deal with everything by ourselves. Also, this week I have learned the importance of service. Whenever Patterson feels down, she knows the only way to feel better is to stop thinking of herself and start thinking of others! The only thing that gives us true happiness is helping others!
  3. What did I struggle with this week? 
    Being tired. I want to love every part of my mission so much, but sometimes I get tired and I don't feel like I'm reaching my full potential. Then I feel bad. But I just remember that I love God and I need to do it, so I get up and I do it and I end up loving it.
  4. What are my goals this week? 
    This week I want to improve my teaching skills and love the mission even more. I'm improving my teaching skills by studying PMG everyday and then doing role plays with my companion. I especially want to work on asking better questions, because questions can make a huge difference in lessons. I can't believe that I have been out on my mission for a year now! So crazy! So this week I am reevaluating my mission and finding ways to make these last six months the best I can and love every minute of it!!
  5. How has my testimony strengthened this week? 
    Lately I've been doing a study on Ether 12:27, which is my favorite scripture about how we can turn our weaknesses into strengths. I found all these cross references and talks about it and then I decided to put it to practice. I chose a weakness that I have and I have been praying and trying my best to make it into a strengths. My companion has been a huge help in this! I really do feel a difference and I know the atonement is so powerful that it can help us become the best person we can be.
    Also, I know that God really does listen to me and gives me the things I need to be happy. This week I was kind of feeling down and right at the moment I receive a letter—from me! Haha my MTC teacher had me write it and I told myself the exact things I needed to hear. God's plan is perfect. Also, every day is a miracle in the mission because I know that God's hand is placed in every path so that I can see miracles and help more of God's children.
  6. Things that made me happy this week? 
    Talking with the other sisters in my apartment every day. They are so funny. Filling my scriptures with quotes makes me happy. Also, probably the best moments of the mission is the moment right after you teach a lesson and you walk away with your companion. After every lesson, we wait about ten seconds, and then smile and scream and talk about how great that lesson went and all the miracles that happened. That feeling right after you teach a great lesson...is seriously the best.
  7. Other things? Yesterday we got to have guests in our apartment! Two couples of the mission—the Steurers (they work in the mission office) and the Fenns (they work for the temple committee) came to Sardegna to take pictures for the inside of the temple. My area will be inside the temple!!!!!!!!!! We invited them over for lunch and Sorella Rost made bomb Mexican food and they told us all about the temple. It's getting closer, but it's still going to be at least 1-2 years before it's done :(. But it is BEAUTIFUL! They told us all about the statues that will go inside and we got to see the design and all this stuff. It was awesome!! Save up—we need to come back to this temple!!! 

    Mexican food.
    Oh also...so for Mother's day call...so there is only one computer and 8 missionaries so I was wondering if it would be okay if I did my call on Saturday night May 10th (which would be Saturday morning for you?)Let me know what times would work for you! Can't wait!!!!!!!
    Love you all! Right now a member is taking us to Stintino which I've heard is the most beautiful beach ever!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment